living in the ‘Land of Smiles’

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Phuket – Puffer fish could have killed Quebec sisters in Thailand: Doctor

Via: Toronto Sun

A Thai doctor who briefly examined two Canadian sisters found dead in a Thailand hotel room believes they might have been killed after eating toxic mushrooms or potentially deadly puffer fish.

Autopsy results are not yet in for Noemie and Audrey Belanger but a hospital director in Krabi, Thailand, told The Phuket News he arrived at his theory following a preliminary examination of the women’s bodies.

Dr. Komkrit Phukrityakame said the Quebec sisters may have been victims of food poisoning after eating puffer fish, also called Fugu, which are one of the deadliest animals on Earth.

The spiked fish contain a strong toxin that’s 100 times deadlier than potassium cyanide if not properly prepared by specialized chefs.


Read more, HERE:



A dish of fugu can easily cost ¥5,000 (approx. US$50), but it can be found for as little as ¥2,000 (approx. US$20), and a full-course fugu meal (usually eight servings) can cost ¥10,000–20,000 (approx. US$100–200) or more.

The expense encourages chefs to slice the fish very carefully to obtain the largest possible amount of meat. The special knife, called fugu hiki, is usually stored separately from other knives.



personal thought:

1. I find it highly unlikely two young women would spend that kind of money on fugu (puffer fish), when they could buy a plate of pad thai for 60-baht ($1.87 USD).

2. Unlike the earlier deaths in Phi-Phi and Chiang Mai; I hope they will perform, and release, the toxicology reports.

3.  I hate to say it, but I think it’s possible the Thai doctors are simply ‘guessing’ at this time; and the next ‘guess’ might (???) be, Pgymys.



June 19, 2012 Posted by | hotel deaths | , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment