living in the ‘Land of Smiles’

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Chiang Mai – Salmonella sickness toll rises to 460

Via: Bangkok Post

Health authorities say the students fell ill after eating three-day-old boiled eggs tainted with salmonella bacteria.

Dr Pornthep Siriwanarangsan, director-general of the Disease Control Department, said Chiang Mai Welfare School students became sick after eating donated eggs that were boiled three days previously and not reheated before they were consumed, allowing the bacteria to develop.

On Sunday evening, about 900 students of the school, located in Mae Rim district, ate chilli curry and donated boiled eggs at the cafeteria.

After the meal, 75 of the students became ill with headaches, high fever, nausea and diarrhoea.

The number of sick students increased to 460 yesterday, health authorities said.

Of them, 290 are recovering at home, 123 are still in nine hospitals, and eight students are critically ill.

~~~

Read more, HERE:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/301868/salmonella-sickness-toll-rises-to-460

.

Advertisements

July 11, 2012 - Posted by | Uncategorized | , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: