living in the ‘Land of Smiles’

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Chiang Mai – Hotel deny using bug kill spray

Via: Bangkok Post

The manager of the Downtown Inn Hotel in Chiang Mai yesterday denied the hotel has been using a bedbug killer containing chlorpyrifos.

His comments followed reports in the New Zealand media that an independent investigation had found traces of chlorpyrifos, a potentially lethal toxin used to kill bedbugs, in samples from hotel rooms where guests had developed fatal illnesses and some died either right in their hotel rooms or elsewhere.

Thanthep Bunkaeo said Downtown Inn Hotel, which is in Muang district, had stopped using the bedbug killer a long time ago.

He insisted there was no chlorpyrifos in any of the hotel rooms.


Earlier, the findings from an independent investigation were reported on the New Zealand television programme 60 Minutes.

The investigators noted that SEVEN GUESTS who had stayed at the hotel and died later on MIGHT have died because of high levels of pesticide in their hotel rooms.


Investigators found traces of chlorpyrifos on bed linen in one of the hotel rooms.


Conventional wisdom is that seven tourists died in Chiang Mai with ‘very similar symptoms’ to the New Zealand woman, Sarah Carter, age 23.

I still would like to know whether any Thai people or local expats died during this period, with ‘very similar symptoms’.

khup khun krup, thank you


ภูมิปัญญาดั้งเดิมที่เจ็ดนักท่องเที่ยวเสียชีวิตในจังหวัดเชียงใหม่กับ’อาการคล้ายกันมาก’เพื่อผู้หญิง New Zealand, Sarah Carter, 23 อายุ





May 12, 2011 - Posted by | hotel deaths | , , , , ,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: